Monday, July 7, 2008

Robbed... Kindness kills

I've been robbed. On the way back from the airport, a family of three approached me and inquired about some adress, which I gave. I've been too nice, explaining them over and over (in various languages) how they can get to their destination. The family father thanked me, gave me his hand and boarded the next bus. Immediately, I checked my bags, my backpack as everone should always do after or while talking to somebody. The top compartment of my backpack was open, which is very, very difficult to access. My wallet, almost €400, all credit and bank cards, IDs, licences....well, all gone.
What struck me the most that this is happening to me. After such a long time in Barcelona, I though that I have somewhat of a "gangster-radar". Must have been mistaken.

Here is my advice: If you still decide to come to Barcelona, don't carry cash, cards....nothing. Carry a bottle of beer and that's it. Don't talk to people. You will not be able to distiguish a fellow tourist from a local or a pickpocket.
And if there are some people around you that leave a weird impression, run for the next safe place. Kindness kills in Barcelona!

No comments: